Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

If a clutch is worn, would anything come up on OBD2 at all?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 02:40 AM
AlpineAlex is an unknown quantity at this point
If a clutch is worn, would anything come up on OBD2 at all?

I went to see a V8 Vantage Sportshift today. The dealer told me it was on it's 3rd clutch as it had 70,000 miles on it.

He had no way of proving it and neither do I, but he did let me plug in my ODB2 reader.

Just a couple of O2 sensor codes came up and that's all.

I know that clutch wear wouldn't come up as a code, but are there any codes that do start to come up when the clutch is slipping or if the ASM pump is overheating due to being overworked for example.

And in general, is a clear ODB2 read a good indication that the car is good or is it not really that thorough on an Aston?

Thanks,

Old 04-18-2024, 01:10 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
The AMS system is able to tell the clutch life. But that means a trip to the dealer.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:36 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
If you plan to buy one, invest in a Foxwell with AM software it does alot for little money and will give you clutch readings.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:42 AM
sweet991S is an unknown quantity at this point
On my 2010 V8V 6 sp there was ZERO OBC2 indication that it needed a new clutch. And damn - did it! Use your own common sense and experience to discern this - oh, yea, and save your $$$. It's very pricey.......but my new V AP clutch is fabulous! Thanks to the team at LoCo Exotics!

Old 04-24-2024, 02:34 PM
mbrandt1402 is an unknown quantity at this point
If the owner/seller will let you, buy a Foxwell and take it with you when you look at the car. It will return one of the clutch readings (the AMDS will give you two).

When I was shopping for a car, I found that dealers would not predict clutch wear based on the readings. Apparently the initial reading on a new clutch is not very precise, and without the initial reading you can't project probable clutch life. There are other factors as well (a glazed clutch disk won't hold as much torque), so I'm not condemning the dealers, just sharing what I found.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:34 PM
ragingfool35 is an unknown quantity at this point
exactly what clutch reading does the Foxwell provide? how does one determine clutch state from these readings?

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
mbrandt1402 is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a sensor that measures the amount of travel at which point the clutch begins to bite. That is the reading the Foxwell can report. While the reading itself is repeatable and precise, the starting bite point of a newly assembled clutch and the failure point aren't precise. I've lost my notes as far as the typical readings for a new and needs to be replaced clutch, but at a measurement of 1550, my clutch is somewhere around 45% "used up".

IIRC, I found the assumed readings for a new and worn-out clutch on this site.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
ragingfool35 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks mbrant
i have read several threads here. information is either contradictory or not clear

"OBD II reader live data on the Magneti Marelli TCU has: (1) Self-tuned clutch closed position: 1821; (2) Self-tuned clutch closed position - kiss point delta: 615. my understanding that learned clutch kiss point ranged from approximately 0 (on a new clutch) to 600 (on a worn clutch)."

"my clutch read about 1300, based on new of about 1900... they said it was time... differential of about 600"

"Your readings are probably correct for getting close to the end of life. New clutch will be in the lower teens, over 1800 and you maybe rolling the dice"