996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

driving my 996 in the snow and ice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 AM
asifallasleep is on a distinguished road
driving my 996 in the snow and ice

hey guys,

i will be driving my 2003 911 this winter in nyc. just had the pirelli snowsports put on yesterday. i live in a condo and had two vehicles a couple years ago ( a boxster and an old jeep) and it was a pain. so i sold the boxster and the jeep and bought the 911. I'm going to drive it year round. Anyone else driving year round?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 AM
pongobaz is on a distinguished road
Many, many, many of us drive our 911's year round; it's my daily driver. Second winter for me with the Pirelli Snowsport 240s and the car is very surefooted in the snow.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
well you're in canada so nyc should be a breeze for me. i keep reading these posts about guys going on about the salt, wear and tear, car never the same afterwards, blah blah blah. i mean it's only a car. an amazing one, but i'm going to drive mine.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Well Toronto and NYC get pretty much the same crap winter weather. As far as durability is concerned, Porsche are designed and built in Germany to be used in their climate which is also quite snowy and messy. For the salt, I go to a coin-op wand wash place and blast off all the crud from the underbody and wheel wells. I actually wash the car by hand in my garage using Optimum No Rinse: http://optimumcarcare.com/norinse.html to get it sparkling clean...just did it yesterday afternoon BTW and no, my garage isn't heated .
Enjoy the car everyday is my motto.

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
thanks for the tip about optimum no rinse. just drove home in snow and freezing rain. what a blast!! it's a snow mobile on wheels! i whizzed past so many cars, lol. i guess the combination of the porsche and the pirelli snow sports!! i dont think i wanna drive anything else in the snow.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM
rpf996 is on a distinguished road
I am also in NY & will be driving all winter, with the exception of heavy snow. I am not really concearned, but I have been ousted from my garage for the past month. Thankfully, Ill be back in by the weekend.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
mine too, my blizzak LM22s are going back on tomorrow

Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Meeyatch1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by asifallasleep
hey guys,

i will be driving my 2003 911 this winter in nyc. just had the pirelli snowsports put on yesterday. i live in a condo and had two vehicles a couple years ago ( a boxster and an old jeep) and it was a pain. so i sold the boxster and the jeep and bought the 911. I'm going to drive it year round. Anyone else driving year round?
I drive all year (even in the snow) in an NSX with winter tires. I used to drive a Carrera 4 Cab in the snow....that was not fun on Pirelli P-Zeros. LOL!!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by pongobaz
Well Toronto and NYC get pretty much the same crap winter weather. As far as durability is concerned, Porsche are designed and built in Germany to be used in their climate which is also quite snowy and messy. For the salt, I go to a coin-op wand wash place and blast off all the crud from the underbody and wheel wells. I actually wash the car by hand in my garage using Optimum No Rinse: http://optimumcarcare.com/norinse.html to get it sparkling clean...just did it yesterday afternoon BTW and no, my garage isn't heated .
Enjoy the car everyday is my motto.
Toronto...you get a dusting. We are from Barrie...now THAT is the snow belt. LOL!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Be careful if you listen to Meeyatch - he puts about 150k miles on each of his NSXs and enjoys every minute of it!

Welcome to 6speed Meeyatch - there are several of us ex-NSXPrime folks here.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:19 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
welcome =)

Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by leftlane
Be careful if you listen to Meeyatch - he puts about 150k miles on each of his NSXs and enjoys every minute of it!

Welcome to 6speed Meeyatch - there are several of us ex-NSXPrime folks here.
LOL!! Yeah...I do tend to drive my cars. Thanks for the welcome! Have a great day!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 AM
eddiero is on a distinguished road
I guess I wont feel too bad driving mine in the snow. How does the heater fare in cold weather?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:56 PM
heater works great...almost as good as the "roast your buns" heated seats!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
This is a modified 'copy-paste' from an earlier post;
If everything in nature plays nice for a pack-snow fall, I'll take my C4 Cab out when it first starts snowing and there's an inch or two on the ground, (before the plow & salt trucks start their rounds.) It's a blast!!
Greatest time to practice controlled drift and other driving techniques - pick a big parking lot without speed-bumps or parking blocks and have yourself a wonderful learning/driving experience. After the grin’s been glued to my face for a while, I’ll go back with the Merc or Ridgeline and start all over again!
I'm a bit **** about keeping my sled clean, and it's just too much of a pain to keep the thing clean in icy cold weather by hand, (no automated car washes for the Porsche, EVER ), so sloppy, salt and sand filled roads are rarely seen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: driving my 996 in the snow and ice