997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fresh Meat For C4S: Bridgestone RE-11 First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:12 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Fresh Meat For C4S: Bridgestone RE-11 First Impressions

Here are a few first Bridgestone RE-11 First Impressions.

My 07 C4S is a daily driver. I do AX whenever I can and 2 track days a year.

The car has Bilsteins, has been slightly lowered and corner balanced and has an alignment by TC Design Fab. It handles well with a min. of understeer - the handling is quite improved from stock........................

I have previously run PS2s (very good) and Bridgestone RE05As (very good as well). I run 39 psi R and 33psi F, typically.

The first thing I noticed was that the RE-11s had a significantly quieter and plusher ride than RE-05As. This was very noticeable, and was a pleasant surprise. The RE-11s have more of a "gumball feel" as well, the 05As seem to have more road feel in that every nuance is transmitted. Whatever the case, the RE-11s are more comfortable on the street.

The traction seems very good, but I have not really pushed it because it has not been to the track or AX.

However, I did notice that the car exhibits more yaw and lean with these tires. I am not exactly sure why. Perhaps they are gripping better and the body leans in response. I need to spend more time with the tires, they definitely have a different feel than the PS2s and RE05As, which are more similar to each other than the RE-11s...........

These are my initial impressions driving on the street and over some twisty cyn roads...

Old 08-15-2009, 09:32 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
Thanks for the review.

Interested to hear what you think of them after an AX session or pushing them a little harder on the road.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by unclejosh

The first thing I noticed was that the RE-11s had a significantly quieter and plusher ride than RE-05As. This was very noticeable, and was a pleasant surprise. The RE-11s have more of a "gumball feel" as well, the 05As seem to have more road feel in that every nuance is transmitted. Whatever the case, the RE-11s are more comfortable on the street.
New tires will always feel softer than old ones because they have a deeper tread depth and the tread blocks have more squirm (yes, that's a technical term) to them. Plus, the rubber compound of this tire is a bit softer, though.

Wait till you get them broken in and on a track. These tires are outstanding.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute

New tires will always feel softer than old ones because they have a deeper tread depth and the tread blocks have more squirm (yes, that's a technical term) to them. Plus, the rubber compound of this tire is a bit softer, too.

Wait till you get them broken in and on a track. These tires are outstanding.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-15-2009, 11:57 PM
zoomzoommo is on a distinguished road
RE-11's

I've been using these tires for DE's and absolutely love them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ngAOtkfvo

Old 08-16-2009, 06:22 AM
stephen k is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the Write-up. I've been curious about this tire as I really love the direct feel of the 050A's. Keep us updated.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 AM
lawjdc is on a distinguished road
I like them! They are replacements for street driving. Previous tires were Toyo R888's, which lasted 3700 miles.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:46 PM
ClayMan has a spectacular aura aboutClayMan has a spectacular aura about
Yeouch! 3700 miles? :S

Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
RE-11 Update

Tires have been heat cycled on the street multiple times and "pushed" on some twisties (HWY 84, Woodside to San Gregorio). About 350 miles or so since new. I commute 2 - 3 x week in my car.

Obs.

1. These tires ride significantly better than RE05As and PS2s - less road noise and cushier ride. Very noticeable.
  2. The feel compared to the 05As is quite different. The 11s don't have the pebble to pebble to expansion joint feedback as the 05As, which I missed at first. However, the ride is quite improved, so I have adjusted.
  3. The traction is excellent - caveat - street obs only.
  4. I run 33F/39R psi. I typically gain 4 psi when warm.
  5. I am still getting used to these tires, but I have noticed that they have dulled my lust for the spendy PS2s...........

Last edited by unclejosh; 08-30-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Thumbs up Very Happy with RE-11s, Update

Quick update.

Have over 2 thousand miles on the tires now.

Did an AX awhile back and wow, what an improvement over the RE05As.

Tires have significantly better grip and slide in more forgiving manner.

Road noise is also noticeably lower than the 05As as well.

Winter rain is coming, and I look forward to seeing how they will perform in wet conditions.

Great tires for street and AX.

Last edited by unclejosh; 11-02-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Quick update.

Have over 2 thousand miles on the tires now.

Did an AX awhile back and wow, what an improvement over the RE05As.

Tires have significantly better grip and slide in more forgiving manner.

Road noise is also noticeably lower than the 05As as well.

Winter rain is coming, and I look forward to seeing how they will perform in wet conditins.

Great tires for street and AX.
How would you compare grip at AX to PS2 tires?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Never tried PS2s at the track or AX.

RE-11s qualitatively have equivilant or superior grip.

I would like to try them back to back.

I do recall Damon at Tire Rack having some very positive comments about RE-11s in comparison to PS2s....you may wish to contact him.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The Re-11 has an interesting tread profile. It appears that it should do very well in good dry pavement. I wonder how they behave on the wet as it only has 2 longitudinal grooves and fewer sideways grooves.

It's interesting to note that TireRack lists these tires for the 997.1 but not for the 997.2 !?! They do not list the PS2s as OEM either !?!

One observation on tire weight:

RE-11 27lb F 32lb R

RE050A 24lb F 31lb R

PS2 22lb F 29lb R

Last edited by adias; 11-02-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
swajames will become famous soon enoughswajames will become famous soon enough
I also have the RE-11's on my 997. I've had P-Zero's and PS2's on my 997's and this for me is the best of the lot. Compared to the P-Zero/PS2 the RE-11 is much grippier, is quieter and is smoother-riding. No issues in the wet (and I drove them during the heavy downpour we had in the Bay Area a few weeks back). It's a great tire.

Last edited by swajames; 11-02-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by swajames
I also have the RE-11's on my 997. I've had P-Zero's and PS2's on my 997's and this for me is the best of the lot. Compared to the P-Zero/PS2 the RE-11 is much grippier, is quieter and is smoother-riding. No issues in the wet (and I drove them during the heavy downpour we had in the Bay Area a few weeks back). It's a great tire.
I see. Thanks, I will probably get it for next season for my 18" rims.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fresh Meat For C4S: Bridgestone RE-11 First Impressions