996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Don't forget to change out your cabin filter and air filters!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:36 AM
soslo is on a distinguished road
Don't forget to change out your cabin filter and air filters!

After purchasing my 996 TT at 56k miles, I decided to change the cabin and air filters. Car was running a little bit sluggish and felt like it was missing some power at the top end. Changed out my air filter and wow what a difference it made, drives so much smoother throughout the power band. The cabin filter was pretty much black from all the dust and crap it has collected. The filters were also super easy, definitely a DIY for anyone. The cabin air filter took about 2 min tops and the air filter took about 30 min cause I couldn't get the damn airbox back on the intake hose.

Here are some before and after pics of my filters.

Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
nasty!

Thanks,
I should change my cabin filter as well. Bought the car from a smoker. Had car detailed, but still has that lingering oder. Hopefully the filter helps. Do you have the DIY instructions for this?

Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Good post and great advice...thanks!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Thanks,
I should change my cabin filter as well. Bought the car from a smoker. Had car detailed, but still has that lingering oder. Hopefully the filter helps. Do you have the DIY instructions for this?

Etch, the cabin filter is a snap. Here's the diy instructions. You will have no problem doing this haha, it's just one torx screw and you have access to the filter.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7058

Its on renntech and you will have to register in order to view it. It's a great site though and definitely worth your time. I got my filter at pelican parts.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:31 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
wow didn't realise how easy that install is and to think i was putting it off...

Old 11-15-2009, 01:20 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Did you buy both the filters from the dealership?

Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 PM
nope got both filters at pelican parts, I think the brands were Mann for the cabin filter and Mahle for the air filter...under $50 for both filters and they were shipped the next day I ordered it. Just a fyi, the filters I took out turned out to be the same brands I put in.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 PM
CAA
CAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to all
I didnt know i had a cabin filter.....

Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
I use the one with the activated charcoal instead of the plain paper. Part # 996 571 219 02.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
I use the one with the activated charcoal instead of the plain paper. Part # 996 571 219 02.
I was wondering if mine used the charcoal filter as well, but pelican parts said the charcoal filter is only for cars with the m571 option. I checked my options list and I didnt have that option so I just went with the paper one.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:45 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
This part with the carbon is also on the Boxster it sounds like. From the sounds of it the charcoal filter may just slip right in to replace the other. Price for this charcoal option on the Boxster was $400+ - if it was simply an addition of charcoal to the filter I'd be pissed!

http://www.986faq.com/7-0/default.asp

Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Same filter for the Boxster, GT2, GT3RS, Carrera 4, Cayman, etc. Sorry to say it you need to be pi$$ed.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I have often wondered what the cabin filter actually does for you, and if it's really a necessary item....other than the instance of getting a car from a previous smoker. You run with windows down....or in the case of a convertible the whole top down....so what good does it really do??? I've never changed mine and have 40K miles on the car....the air is still fresh smelling coming thru the vents on AC or flow thru.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:40 PM
CJ, it filters the air coming from the outside to the inside of the car. The inside of the car just gets dusty not dirty (sand, grit, bugs, leaves, pollen, etc.) The interior is much, much cleaner with the cabin filter. I have 2 cars with the cabin filter and 1 without. The air/AC vents are clean with the ones with cabin filter and grity/dirty on the one without the filter. You will be amazed how much the filter will trap.

The charcoal filter absorbs smells from the outside like diesel fumes.

With a convertible, your interior is at the mercy of your surroundings with the top down.

Doubt it filters the air that is already inside the car.