Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

brake caliper paint job, worth 1k?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
brake caliper paint job, worth 1k?

Hi guys,
I have a black 09 CS with GTS wheels, blacked out trims and clear corners. Do you think its worth 1200 to paint the calipers red professionally? I think it will be a noticeable and it matches the red accent i have on my steering wheel (red stitching, directional ring). Currently the car's profile is not very exciting.
Thanks

Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 AM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
I think the color contrast would be very nice but I have to imagine you could get it done for less than $1,200.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds AWFULLY high to me for the amount of work involved.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Sounds AWFULLY high to me for the amount of work involved.
That's what i thought... Powertech, the shop i'm using is saying that it very labor intensive to get the brakes off, change the fluid, paint and reinstall..

Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Try these guys, I haven't use them, but some others on 6speed have used them and they seem happy.

http://www.fastforwardwheels.com/index.html

Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I've painted several calipers on my other pcars, 993 and 964 using duplicolor caliper paint. With a little effort they came out awesome and have held up well. Cost about 35 bucks, time, about 3 - 4 hours. Let me know if you want more details. The logo is a decal, clear coat applied last. No way I'd pay a G.

Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Try these guys, I haven't use them, but some others on 6speed have used them and they seem happy.

http://www.fastforwardwheels.com/index.html
Great site thanks!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys. The problem is i live in a high rise condo, i dont have any space/equipment to do any work on my car.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jyupitt1
Thanks guys. The problem is i live in a high rise condo, i dont have any space/equipment to do any work on my car.
Do you have a parking space in an underground? It is not that much work to remove your calipers. The other option is to talk to the people that gave you the quote and ask them to do part of the work, send the calipers to these guys, and then reinstall them when they arrive.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
if you're talking about taking them out, removing all the seals and power-coating them then rebuilding $1k is not so bad. If they are just going to paint then it's not such a good deal.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
nlakind has a spectacular aura aboutnlakind has a spectacular aura about
i think $7-$800 is more reasonable front a rear. that's what my local shops charge retail for brake calipers..

Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
I had a set powdercoated many years ago for $500 for all four!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by theblue
if you're talking about taking them out, removing all the seals and power-coating them then rebuilding $1k is not so bad. If they are just going to paint then it's not such a good deal.
yes, install includes taking them out, powder coat then rebuild for 1k. paint only is 600...

Old 01-26-2010, 12:29 PM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
yeah, because it's a lot more work to power coat (since you can't leave the seals in while you bake them) this is really not the most unreasonable price. It's the labor here that adds up. if you had a second set to get power-coated then you rebuilt them and swapped them yourself it would be a fraction of the price.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Unless I have a Benjamin tree on my back yard, there is no way I'll spend $1k just for the different color of caliper.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: brake caliper paint job, worth 1k?