996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Toluene as a gas additive

Old 07-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Toluene as a gas additive

Supposedly adding toluene to a tank cam raise the octane. 1 gallon should bump gas by at least 1 full octane rating without the cost of race gas. Toluene is rated at 114 octane so 1 gallon added to 17 gallons of 91 = 91*17 + 114*1 / 18 = 92.27 octane. Here is an oft referenced article: http://elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

2 gallons would be 93.42. Don't know if that much is safe.... Makes me envy you fools with 93 at the pump!!!!!

I should add that I didn't do this but it was recommended by my tuner. The question is it safe?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-24-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
I read a few topics on this before on various car forums and in the end didn't go this route as a substitute but it sure would be cool if you could prove it wasn't harmful and only helped increase octane.... I believe toluene is pretty cheap right?

Old 07-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Supposed to be cheap. It was like $16 by the single gallon can at this particular paint store (not really cheap). Of course you can get similar results at these prices by mixing 100 or 104 octane gas. Ideally if it's safe would cost much less. This place has 5 gallons of Sunoco 104 delivered for $66.95 http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/default.aspx?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-24-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor site
Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I pay $66 for 5 gallons of VP 109 in HB. I would not run paint thinner in my car. Seems like a lot to spend for 1 octane boost. Get the real stuff..... VP Racing Fuel. I just added 10 gallons yesterday and went on two runs down PCH in Orange County. Lots of fun. Going tomorrow too. Can meet at Crystal Cove of any one is interested in a PCH drive.

Last edited by robertp; 07-24-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Speedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud of
It is completely safe to run toluene! I ran it for years in my high compression 13:5:1 type r motor. I would buy it in drums and it worked out to be cheaper than race gas. I cant recall the place where I was buying it, but I will do some research and try to find the name. They used to run 100% toluene in tiny 1.3 ltr race motors running insane amounts of boost.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Where do you get this? I'm hoping there is a place near me in the San Fernando valley. $66 out the door?

Octane simply miltiplies by volume, so say 5 gallons of 91 + 5 gallons of 109 = 10 gallons of 100 octane. $3 for 91 + $13 for 109 averages out to $8/per gallon. Not really a savings.

The question is can you trust 100 octane from the pump to be fresh?

Originally Posted by robertp
I pay $66 for 5 gallons of VP 109 in HB. I would not run paint thinner in my car. Seems like a lot to spend for 1 octane boost. Get the real stuff..... VP Racing Fuel. I just added 10 gallons yesterday and went on two runs down PCH in Orange County. Lots of fun. Going tomorrow too. Can meet at Crystal Cove of any one is interested in a PCH drive.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:55 AM
Speedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud of
I did some searching, the place is called tri-city paint I believe on miramar rd in san diego, ca. I was buying this back when I was 22-23 so the prices could definitely have adjusted since then...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I get the VP 109 at Ace Auto in Huntington Beach. It is on Adams and Magnolia. Bruce is the owner so tell him Robert sent you and he will hook you up.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
[quote=ari;2920947]Where do you get this? I'm hoping there is a place near me in the San Fernando valley. $66 out the door?

Octane simply miltiplies by volume, so say 5 gallons of 91 + 5 gallons of 109 = 10 gallons of 100 octane. $3 for 91 + $13 for 109 averages out to $8/per gallon. Not really a savings.

The question is can you trust 100 octane from the pump to be fresh?[/quote]

I agree. While I spray 100% meth with my pump, which is an advantage over plain pump, I STILL HAVE plain pump gas and am only as good as where I get my pump gas from. ANYTHING that pumps from a tank in the ground can get contaminated by water etc...If you want a consistant, SAFE fuel, pour it into your car from a can, period.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Given the volume of 91 being pumped in general, I'm betting it's more fresh than pump 100

Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
Given the volume of 91 being pumped in general, I'm betting it's more fresh than pump 100

Hard to aruge that logic and the same can be said for 93 here, although I do find myself with a crappy tank once in a while. The fact remains that any additive, be it Toluene, methanol injection or canned ontane booster from pep boys, it's not as good as fuel out of a can, as ANY pump has the potential to be bad. Remember, it can be delivered to the gas station bad too... I'm actually considering going to a MS109 only plan...

Old 07-25-2010, 09:39 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I don't know about this Toluene, but I remembered watching a either Top Gear or Fifth Gear show testing with a few different top additives. The tests were no performance enhancement.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I also like going the safe route using VP 109 only (at 1.2 bar).

I have been using it now for over three years covering around 5500 miles.

Change the oil, oil filter and air filter every 6 months or 1000 miles and the car will perform at it's peek potential every time I ask her too.

I also put a fan on the rear of the car when I park her in the garage. a habbit from racing and having air colled P-cars.

Last edited by robertp; 07-25-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Hard to aruge that logic and the same can be said for 93 here, although I do find myself with a crappy tank once in a while. The fact remains that any additive, be it Toluene, methanol injection or canned ontane booster from pep boys, it's not as good as fuel out of a can, as ANY pump has the potential to be bad. Remember, it can be delivered to the gas station bad too... I'm actually considering going to a MS109 only plan...
I think it would be a good move to switch to ms109. Methanol is very hygroscopic. It readlily absorbs water from the atmosphere and with water there is always a chance of corrosion, albeit small in your case. MS109 contains MTBE which arguably is just as good if not better blending additive than toluene. I believe ms109 also has xylenes rather than toluene. Certain xylenes have motor octane ratings 10 point higher than toluene. Basically, mixing in ms109 or toluene with pump gas really isn't going to do a whole lot for you. You need to run straight ms109 with the proper tune.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by TTdude
I think it would be a good move to switch to ms109. Methanol is very hygroscopic. It readlily absorbs water from the atmosphere and with water there is always a chance of corrosion, albeit small in your case. MS109 contains MTBE which arguably is just as good if not better blending additive than toluene. I believe ms109 also has xylenes rather than toluene. Certain xylenes have motor octane ratings 10 point higher than toluene. Basically, mixing in ms109 or toluene with pump gas really isn't going to do a whole lot for you. You need to run straight ms109 with the proper tune.
That's my plan, as soon as I'm done with musical houses...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Toluene as a gas additive