Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Keeping birds off a car

Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Keeping birds off a car

How does everyone keep birds off their cars? I'm not talking about leaving the car parked under a tree for the little winged rodents to freely divebomb their nasty, acidic poop onto your car. I mean birds physically ON the car and taking a big ol' crap.

My office parking lot is unfortunately outdoors. We have covered carport like areas where if you park your car there, a multitude of birds will eventually make little claw marks on on roof/hood and relieve themselves...repeatedly
There is the option to park in the open, but living in a city where it can get to almost 120 degrees during the summer, it's not a great option

I've heard the fake owls sometimes work (placing a big jagged piece of plastic on my roof with the prospect of it falling and scratching the paint isn't my first choice). Fake rubber snakes, hanging shiny objects?? Any other ideas/known solutions?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 PM
alexstjo is on a distinguished road
not sure if this will work but I had problems with cats. I found some websites that said to put moth ***** around the car. It has seemed to work very well.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
pellet guns work well.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
bird poison. that's how those mystery birds were killed.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
I would park in the open, painful as that may be, birds crapping and clawing my paint everyday would be much more painful.
Any stray cats in the area? Start feeding them so they hang around the property....seriously.

Ken

Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by floridaBMW
I would park in the open, painful as that may be, birds crapping and clawing my paint everyday would be much more painful.
Any stray cats in the area? Start feeding them so they hang around the property....seriously.

Ken
Really not a good option. Things start melting in direct sunlight here
No cats that I've ever seen.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Pet Deterrents:

Help your pets and wild birds learn good house manners by keeping them off furniture, work surfaces, vehicle surfaces( soft top, hood (bonnets)and trunk (boot)) and out of selected rooms. ScatMat emits a mild, harmless, static pulse when your pet touches it. With three intensity levels ScatMat works and is safe for any size cat or dog –
UK-Pet Care or Pets Mart
US – ScatMat

Last edited by TOGWT; 01-22-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Pet Deterrents:

Help your pets and wild birds learn good house manners by keeping them off furniture, work surfaces, vehicle surfaces( soft top, hood (bonnets)and trunk (boot)) and out of selected rooms. ScatMat emits a mild, harmless, static pulse when your pet touches it. With three intensity levels ScatMat works and is safe for any size cat or dog –
UK-Pet Care or Pets Mart
US – ScatMat
I'll keep this in mind. Although, I'm pretty sure that if I left this on my car, it would be gone when I got back

Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Take your car with you to the office or you can find out where they make those slap on magnet and paint an owl on it then put it on your roof.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
You can put a car cover on.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Car cover or just park in the sun. The exterior is fine. Remember, Porsche did it's testing in the desert, in the middle east You've got a good coat of wax and that'll help with UV. Crack the windows a little open for interior ventilation, put a windshield sunshade on, and you can even get those solar powered fans to blow out the hot air inside the car. Just some options. Parking outside is better than having etched clear coat IMHO.

Or, don't drive the Porsche to work and get another daily driver.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Car cover or just park in the sun. The exterior is fine. Remember, Porsche did it's testing in the desert, in the middle east You've got a good coat of wax and that'll help with UV. Crack the windows a little open for interior ventilation, put a windshield sunshade on, and you can even get those solar powered fans to blow out the hot air inside the car. Just some options. Parking outside is better than having etched clear coat IMHO.

Or, don't drive the Porsche to work and get another daily driver.
Hey Moe.
Sorry, should have clarified. I NEVER drive the P-car to work. I am referring to my DD (Subie STi). Only has a virginal 1200 miles on it so far, so I baby it almost as much as the 997
I've heard that Subaru paint is a BEAR to work with, so I'm trying to keep the paint as pristine as possible for as long as possible.

Car cover would be a logical solution, but not very convenient. Plus, putting a cover on a daily driven car everyday would be almost as harmful on the paint as the damn birds.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bonehead
Hey Moe.
Sorry, should have clarified. I NEVER drive the P-car to work. I am referring to my DD (Subie STi). Only has a virginal 1200 miles on it so far, so I baby it almost as much as the 997
I've heard that Subaru paint is a BEAR to work with, so I'm trying to keep the paint as pristine as possible for as long as possible.

Car cover would be a logical solution, but not very convenient. Plus, putting a cover on a daily driven car everyday would be almost as harmful on the paint as the damn birds.
You can just buy something that will cover the top of the roof then and keep a bottle of quick detailer and a microfiber towel for the bird poop.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 PM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Perhaps the answer maybe to claen it off ASAP

Aves bomb First Aid Kit- use a 1:20 Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) / distilled water solution in a fine mist spray bottle. The surfactants it contains encapsulate and trap bird and insect excrement, dry surface dust, or light dirt particles making them virtually non-abrasive and it can be used without causing scratches (check contents periodically as heat will evaporate the contents if stored in the car’s trunk).. Apply with a long nap micro fibre towel using very little surface pressure, dusting with long strokes in one direction only. For stubborn stains, soak the micro fibre towel and allow it to remain i n place for a few minutes and then wipe away the debris.

Acidic pollutant protection - the latest nanotechnology PPG CeramiClear™ Clear Coat or the newer nanotechnology products, although they are highly resistant to chemicals, detergents, scratches and ultra violet radiation (UV) will only offer limited resistance to acid etching. Organic or inorganic protective coatings, with the exception of Acrylic polymers, offer very limited resistance to acidic pollutants (acid rain, bird excrement, industrial fallout, hydrazine and etc).

The most effective deterrent, once the paint film surface has been decontaminated, is to apply an Acrylic polymer or polyethylene-acrylic (Klasse, Jeff Werkstatt or Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish).. As they are acid-based they hold up better to acidic pollutants (acid rain, bird excrement, and etc) there is no cross-linking capability with this technology, and they cannot be layered, however, they form an anchor with the paint by etching, which gives this type of polymer its durability and they are heat resistant up to 350.0F. For added protection apply an organic wax over the polymer sealant as this will act as a sacrificial barrier and by washing the vehicles paint surface on a regular basis.

Far beyond washing, cleaning and detailing your automobile inside and out, the best preservative action you can take is to cover the car with a car cover. It provides the best protection against industrial fallout (IFO) dust, dirt; ultra violet (UV) and infrared (IR) radiation; bird excrement and windblown debris (See also Car Cover Section)

Neutralization - Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda); first ensure the surface is cool. Mix a small amount (about 1/2 cup) of baking soda and a little water to make a paste (with the consistency of pancake syrup).

Spread it on the affected paint surface working it around well and let it sit for ½ hr. Remove, rinse and dry. The paint surface should be periodically neutralized / decontaminated (See also Paint Surface Decontamination)

Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Keep these in your glovebox. They work amazingly well.

http://www.metropolitandetail.com/ecProduct_112_28

John

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keeping birds off a car