Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between Boxster S and Spyder suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 AM
DavidM is on a distinguished road
Differences between Boxster S and Spyder suspension?

Does anyone know what are the exact differences in the suspension between a Boxster S (987) and a Spyder? I'm interested to know what is it that Porsche changed here, and also how.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ps. Also is thee a difference between the suspension in a Boxster and Boxster S?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Atob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DavidM
Does anyone know what are the exact differences in the suspension between a Boxster S (987) and a Spyder? I'm interested to know what is it that Porsche changed here, and also how.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ps. Also is thee a difference between the suspension in a Boxster and Boxster S?
i did the swap... springs obviously are different, there also a set of rubber bushings needed, and the rear spyder shocks are a good idea to get. front OEM shocks fit just fine... the rears when the car is on a lift and the suspension is fully extended, leave a gap at the top of the rear spyder springs. odds are this is not a big problem, i actually had mine springs tied down to prevent them from moving at all... but i will be buying a set of spyder shocks soon and replacing just to be 100% safe. i did check them yesterday on a lift... no problems whatsoever.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
GTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud of
Apparently this is what Excellence said, I am quoting it from another source:

- 20mm lower than PASM equipped Boxster
- Increased spring stiffness 10% front and 30% rear
- Stiffer front anti-roll bar, same rear
- Changes to the damping, reduced rebound and increased compression

I have just purchased a complete set of Spyder springs, shocks and anti-roll bars from another Forum member here. I hope it is a straight forward plug and play (plus alignment).

Last edited by GTA Boxster; 02-10-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the info guys. So looks like the shocks are also different ... I thought that maybe it's just springs and sways.

I have just purchased a complete set of Spyder springs, shocks and anti-roll bars from another Forum member here.

That's probably what I'd like to do. What kind of money is needed for the lot? Also, how did you come across the sale?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
GTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud of
I found the set by reading one of the postings here. The pieces apparently had less than 1000 miles on them and they are like new, spotless. Wasn't too much of a deal but I did it mostly for convienence. I paid a bit less than what would have been had I bought the springs and shocks fron Suncoast and the anti-roll bars from a dealer.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Name:  Cameinabox.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  74.6 KB

Old 02-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the info. When are you having the parts fitted? Will be good to hear how you find it compared to the regular suspension.

Another thing that has me wondering is whether the stiffer suspension will expose the lack of LSD.

I paid a bit less than what would have been had I bought the springs and shocks from Suncoast and the anti-roll bars from a dealer

What was the price when you had it quoted? I have not had a chance to check the prices from Porsche.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I am planning to have it installed at Pfaff Tuning up here in spring time. They are owned by Pfaff, a local Porsche/Audi/VW dealer. If there is any OEM hardware or alignment spec they need they can get it quickly from their own people at the dealership which is just a few doors down the street.

I doubt the use of Spyder suspension will expose the lack of an LSD. Worse come to worse I can get an aftermarket TBD/ATB from Quaife.

Last edited by GTA Boxster; 02-12-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
I believe this is a Spyder suspension kit:
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p87018.htm

Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 AM
I believe this is a Spyder suspension kit: http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p87018.htm

Interesting ... and thanks for the link. Looks like it includes springs and shocks ... but not sways.

I could not find any more info on that site ... how did you figure out that it's the Spyder suspension?

ps. Looks like I found another supplier ie. the one GTA Boxster mentioned. They have it for $1500 and also no sways. So looks like swaybars been to be bought separately.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9872SPS.html

Last edited by DavidM; 02-14-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
The Spyder uses the same sway bars as a Boxster or Boxster S with PASM.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 02-16-2011, 01:17 AM
The Spyder uses the same sway bars as a Boxster or Boxster S with PASM.

Thanks for that. Also would you know how these are different from the non-PASM Boxster S sways?

Last edited by DavidM; 02-18-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure of the exact differences, I'm going to assume it's relating to the size of the bar or wether the bar is hollow or non-hollow. All cars use the same sway bar bushings, so it may not be a size difference.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 PM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
do these spyder springs fit on the 987.1 struts? I am wondering if this will be a better option than the eibach or h&r spings.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Good question. I am also wondering if it's possible to fir only the Spyder springs into 987.1?

Which brings up the next question - is it possible to buy just the Spyder springs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Differences between Boxster S and Spyder suspension?