997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A/C Stinks with a Musty Smell?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
A/C Stinks with a Musty Smell?

Howdy

I have a 997 2006 with 35k.

Bought it a few thousand miles ago.

Love it but it has a musty smell when I turn on the AC.

Is there a way I can clean out the AC Filter and make this baby smell better ? Is there such a thing? I am very naive to this.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Change the cabin air filter. You can buy it from suncoast ad install in 10
Minutes with some torx wrenches.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Buy the activated charcoal version and also try periodically turning off the cabin air circulation button when there is fresh air around and letting the outside air cycle through.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by v35
Buy the activated charcoal version and also try periodically turning off the cabin air circulation button when there is fresh air around and letting the outside air cycle through.
He means turn the HVAC system to Eco and let the moisture evaporate.

You can also buy a HVAC odor remover

http://www.5starshine.com/info-clean...r-remover.html

Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Make sure you place a mouse trap in the car.... Just kidding

Yves

Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
You should get a cabin air sanitizing service performed...while Cabin Air Filter replacement helps to reduce dust, pollen, and particulates in the air, it does not address the mold and mildew that produce unpleasant, musty odors.

Cabin air sanitizing service helps eliminate these odors by cleaning and freshening the ducts, coils, and vents inside the vehicle climate control system. Together these two services help improve the quality of the vehicle’s in-cabin air quality, for fresher, cleaner, sanitized air.

This service utilizes a fine mist – significantly smaller than aerosol droplets – allowing them to remain airborne longer and travel further. Using the vehicle’s own climate control system, micro-droplets are drawn into the intake vents, penetrating and treating the entire system, including the evaporator, heater core and air-ducts.

Well known within the automotive OEM and Tier-1 supplier community, HVAC-odor impacts both foreign and domestic alike.

Root-cause centers on odor caused by fungus, bacteria and other microbes growing inside the evaporator core, a moisture-laden environment conducive to organism-growth. While endemic to AC-systems, vehicle weight, cost and efficiency drivers have resulted in ever-more compact (e.g. increased fin-density) heat exchangers more prone to moisture-trap.

To address the issue post-sale, OEM’s offer mechanical solutions like Ford’s Purge Module (PN# F8ZX-19980-AA) or GM’s Electronic Evaporator Dryer (EED) while their newer systems increasingly incorporate a coating process to retard organism-growth.

The aftermarket offers a range of options including in-system mechanical solutions similar to those offered by the OEM’s, aerosol spray-solutions, liquid coating-solutions and evaporative “mist” solutions.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Check the drain in your AC evaporator. Sometimes they get plugged.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PSTT07
You should get a cabin air sanitizing service performed...while Cabin Air Filter replacement helps to reduce dust, pollen, and particulates in the air, it does not address the mold and mildew that produce unpleasant, musty odors.

Cabin air sanitizing service helps eliminate these odors by cleaning and freshening the ducts, coils, and vents inside the vehicle climate control system. Together these two services help improve the quality of the vehicle’s in-cabin air quality, for fresher, cleaner, sanitized air.

This service utilizes a fine mist – significantly smaller than aerosol droplets – allowing them to remain airborne longer and travel further. Using the vehicle’s own climate control system, micro-droplets are drawn into the intake vents, penetrating and treating the entire system, including the evaporator, heater core and air-ducts.

Well known within the automotive OEM and Tier-1 supplier community, HVAC-odor impacts both foreign and domestic alike.

Root-cause centers on odor caused by fungus, bacteria and other microbes growing inside the evaporator core, a moisture-laden environment conducive to organism-growth. While endemic to AC-systems, vehicle weight, cost and efficiency drivers have resulted in ever-more compact (e.g. increased fin-density) heat exchangers more prone to moisture-trap.

To address the issue post-sale, OEM’s offer mechanical solutions like Ford’s Purge Module (PN# F8ZX-19980-AA) or GM’s Electronic Evaporator Dryer (EED) while their newer systems increasingly incorporate a coating process to retard organism-growth.

The aftermarket offers a range of options including in-system mechanical solutions similar to those offered by the OEM’s, aerosol spray-solutions, liquid coating-solutions and evaporative “mist” solutions.
The part I bolded in red is precisely what the dealership did with my 993 Turbo years ago and it worked like a charm . In addition I have found that tuning the heat on full blast in the summer for a few minutes also helped the problem.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM
tlis300 has a spectacular aura abouttlis300 has a spectacular aura about
I agree. Power up the HVAC let the water evaporate and replace the cabin filter.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 AM
PFW_06C4S is on a distinguished road
Try this from Einszett:

http://www.1z-usa.com/AC_Cleaner.html

I have not used this product, but have their waxes and detail spray and those work great. You can call them and they give you really good advice on care care.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:04 AM
spgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nice
One comment regarding do-it-yourself foam deodorizers. Be very careful during application. Since the foam is expanding, it can easily get into places where you don't want. I used Einszett on both my 944 Turbo and about a year later w/ my Cadillac CTS. The 944 worked great, however during the application on the CTS, the foam backed up in the center stack and burned out my climate control system. Replacement of the board was $500. Fortunately, my dealer covered it under warranty, suggesting that it was just a coincidence (wink, wink).

My recommendation would be to have the dealer perform any air conditioning cleansing. I can't imagine it being much more than 1 hours labor and if they break anything, it's on their dime.