Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S - Brake pads for the track?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:52 AM
DavidM is on a distinguished road
Boxster S - Brake pads for the track?

What brake pads are you using when you take the car to the track? I have 987.1 Boxster S, and am wondering what pads should I be putting in if I want to track the car.

I don't want to be swapping between road/track pads, so I'd like to have pads that work both on the road and on the track. Though, for the track I'll put on another set of wheels with R-spec tyres ... the brake pads (and fluid) will be constant.

ps. I'm experienced track goer, but have not had the Boxster there yet. I was using Ferodo DS2500 and then Endless pads on my 350Z with Brembos.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the link ... a lot of good info there. So it looks like Pagid yellow or the Porsche sports pads are the go. Not sure if the Porsche sports pads will hold up for me, but it sounds like that it's worthwhile giving them a go.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 AM
rotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura about
Pagid yellows in the front blacks in the rear works great for me.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Pagid yellows. Taking the wheel off is more time consuming than swapping the pad.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
CarboTech XP10 on the front and XP8 on the rear with 140 treadwear Hankook RS3's.
Works very nicely.
I wouldn't use a tire less sticky though, the pads bite hard enough that I think they would trigger the ABS on lesser tires.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
dave4tide is on a distinguished road
Pagid Yellow are used by most Porsche DE participants but will squeel on the street, better consider swapping pads if you don't want any noise when you stop.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
I have run Pagid yellows & blacks, texar, Porsche OEM, Mintex, Raybestos, at the track. Personal favorite: Raybestos ST-43 1200F temp rating, wear well, good modulation without too much initial bite, and squeal like a school bus when cold. Not cheap but good.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm thinking about putting Pagid RS14 into my Boxster S (997.1). I am planning to use them mostly on road, but also on a track 3 - 4 times per year. Does anyone have experience with these break pads? How is the braking (on both road and track)? Any fade?

Also do they squeal on the road when coming to a light stop?

Thanks. Any feedback appreciated.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 AM
So is there anyone here who has used Pagid RS14 before? Would like to hear how you found them.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Goon is on a distinguished road
I run hawk HP+ all year round daily including winter and road courses. They can handle all situations quite well but do dust and squeal.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Homeboy981 is on a distinguished road
Does Anyone Have Experience With EBC Yellow or Red Stuff?

We used to run EBC as a sponsor for our racebikes. I started out skeptical but was a believer after the "bed-in time", which took a while as I recall (or super-hard braking and then let the brakes cool, repeat).

Also, was wondering IF stainless steel brake lines are worth the effort? Made a BIG difference on brake fade in the last few laps. My wife and I used to run for 2-6 hour races. So your life (and that of your wife if she is your partner) are in those brakes….

Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It really depends on whether you are more concerned about stopping power or squeal. I, when I ran a Boxster S, swapped pads for street and track. I like silent braking on the street but don't wan't any questions or issues entering a turn on the track. If you're swapping tires for the track you'll already have the wheels off so what's another few minutes prepping for a race weekend?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Goon is on a distinguished road
Most people switch pads for the track I think like Denversteve. Since I don't work on my car I like using the one pad like the HP+ since some squealing doesn't bother me. I use the same tires for track and street - currently Bridgestone RE-11's.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Are the stock pads ceramic pads? When I track my JCW, I use XP12 front and XP10’s in the rear. When I go back to the street, I swap out to ceramic (bobcats I think.... made by Carbotech)

The reason I use the ceramics on the street is so I don’t have to prep the rotor for ceramic race pads. You obviously can’t just change out pads unless both your street and track pads are ceramics.

So what are the factory pads?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
josephsdesimone will become famous soon enough
Pagid yellow front and rear. I tried black in the rear previously and it seemed to wear the rear rotors at an accelerated rate. However I can't verify this last observation objectively.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boxster S - Brake pads for the track?