996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

nj inspection fail obd not ready

Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
eds966tt is on a distinguished road
nj inspection fail obd not ready

Any idea/resolution for this new jersey inspection issue.

Emissions Result fail: based on information from the on-board diagnostic {obd} system , the system is not ready to determine the status of the pollution control system on this vehicle. To continue with the inspection process the vehicles obd system must be ready for testing upon reinspection.

The car was warmed up - temp in nj is 45 to 65 degrees...
In other words drove the car 20 minutes to inspection station.
Nothing is disconnected - so what might next steps be?

thanks in advance... Ed

Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Any mods? If not, then take to Porsche dealer and they have to fix it under law for free... Or not, IDK. There are some laws and warranties about this type of stuff, but not sure the details - worth a call to the dealer...

Last edited by raineycd; 11-13-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: talking out of behind
Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
From what I can tell our cars have a 7 year / 80,000 mile warranty on emissions control. So depending on your car's age/miles it may be covered...

Old 11-13-2011, 08:43 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
OBD ready monitors not active. Have you recently disconnected the battery, had a loss of battery voltage(IE needed a jump start), or cleared the DME of DTC's via a scan tool?

Any one of those three would cause the ready monitors to go incomplete(INC). IIRC there are five monitors in total on '00-'05 car, three of which usually go active within minutes of first startup. EVAP and O2 monitors are the two that require a predetermined amount of driving to happen before they will cycle for a check and switch to OK status.

In upstate NY, we must have all but one ready monitors active and no hard DTC's in order to pass the emissions portion of the inspection.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
According to a previous post:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3270445

My setup 2002 tt, k16, epl tune, speedtech X 2.5 with 200 cats - single open quad tips.
On the car three months No Drone ... on the quiet side but has nice note. Intention was no drone on the street with "my current set up".
If I make changes to power - turbo upgrade - so on.note and drone may become noticable.
So, unless you recently disconnected the battery or cleared your codes with a OBD scanner/Durametric, I'm going to guess that your ECU flash may be part of the issue, although Tony has help out his previous customers and figured things out. I'd plug in a Durametric and check the readiness status of your OBD sensors.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...readiness.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-can-done.html

Last edited by bbywu; 11-14-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:50 AM
So now i will make some calls and begin research-looking into why.
mods:
1. epl 1.0 flash
2. Xcel - with 200 cell cats.
3. dv's
4. yes codes cleared at the track - by porsche teck -in august due to IC
hose blew off. I gues due to something - will fix over winter.
happened twice.....
- Battery disconnected as well.
- no track time since August.
- however 500 miles on car since then.

As far as EPL I have not been to inspection since flash two years ago.
The flash is perfect for this car and went with 200 cel cats so i would
not have any inspection issues. I will check with the folks at EPL to
gather information... I dont think it has anything to do with the flash.
The flash - it is perfect for this car and my use. EPL folks are very helpful as well..

must be something silly... I dont have OBD scanner/Durametric.
I will do my reaserch and see if its someting i can do or then take it to a shop to get fixed...
thanks to all ... Ed

According to a previous post:

Speedtech Xcellerator exhaust - initial review

Quote:
My setup 2002 tt, k16, epl tune, speedtech X 2.5 with 200 cats - single open quad tips.
On the car three months No Drone ... on the quiet side but has nice note. Intention was no drone on the street with "my current set up".
If I make changes to power - turbo upgrade - so on.note and drone may become noticable.
So, unless you recently disconnected the battery or cleared your codes with a OBD scanner/Durametric, I'm going to guess that your ECU flash may be part of the issue. Plug in a Durametric and check the readiness status of your OBD sensors.

OBD II readiness?

Failed my emission test, what can be done?

Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
My EPL tuned car ALWAYS passed CT emissions no problem. You probably just didn't have it hot enough. Go out and FLOG it for about 50 miles. Some monitors need about 100 miles of driving for them to set...

Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
you gotta drive it until it becomes ready... either disconnecting the battery or clearing out the codes put it into no ready mode... driving it for a couple hours will allow them to get ready and either throw a code again (if there is a problem) or just be in ready status.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I had this same problem with the same set up (epl k16 tune plus speedtech x-cellerator with 100 cell cats). After failing emissions because too many systems were "not ready," I drove for a couple thousand miles with an obd scanner in the car, and checked readiness codes after every drive. I also tried driving various "Reset" routes and programs that are supposed to get the car's systems "ready." I was desperate to solve this problem because my registration was about to lapse and I could not get the car to pass emissions. To pass in Arizona, you can have no more than one system reporting a "not ready," and I had two "not ready" systems (o2 sensors, and if I recall correctly, cats). I tried everything and I could never could get enough of the systems to go into ready mode. It had nothing to do with not varying my driving style enough, not flogging it enough, or not getting it up to temperature. I spoke with Tony and he was great and helpful, but we couldn't figure it out. I never did find out what the problem was, but because I couldn't register the car, I felt I had no choice but to try a different tune, and that did the trick. With full disclosure however, this subsequent tune was not exactly an "off the shelf tune," as I had the car tuned for use with a 5 bar fpr and it was tweaked over the course of a couple weeks following several durametric log reviews.

With all that said, I most certainly cannot conclude that the problem was defintely the tune. It could have very well been a combination of hardware, sensor, or programming issues on my particular car. Obviously, there are many happy EPL k16 flashed cars with no readiness status issues at all, which is what made my situation so confusing. I even dropped about a grand on all new o2 sensors, maf, plugs, and filter (oem this time). So, to be clear, I am not blaming EPL and do not intend to malign EPL or Tony...just reporting my experience, for what its worth.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
To the original poster, please contact us... We can help you out.

To Scott, we just became aware of this issue in the past 2-3 weeks. When we produced our stage 1-2 flashes that were designed for highflow cats we opened up the threshold in which the 02 diagnosis is run. The first 3-4 cars this file were tested on had VERY high quality metal catalitic converters and readiness set with out a problem.. On cars with ceramic cats or cheaper metal cats, often times the test could not stay in a specific temp range long enough to set up properly.

I refuse to turn the code 02 sensor codes completely as main many other tuners do. Turning off secondary cat diagnostic also turns off closed loop operation if front 02 sensors fail. On a car then runs closed loop to redline it is critical for the rear 02 sensor to be able to step in if needed for fuel trimming.

If you are running a miltek, cargraphic, europipe this shouldn't be an issue because the HJS cats operate (and acutally work) the same way that the stock exhaust does. If your running anything else its hit or miss.

We invite anyone with this issue to contact us, we have a fix available free of charge.
Awesome Job Tony! I mean that. You have always been generous with your time with me, and I felt your tune was definitely a huge improvement over my initial tune. Its clear to me that you guys are committed to putting out a good product and sticking by your customers! Again, great job on finding the fix! Scott.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl

To Scott, we just became aware of this issue in the past 2-3 weeks. When we produced our stage 1-2 flashes that were designed for highflow cats we opened up the threshold in which the 02 diagnosis is run. The first 3-4 cars this file were tested on had VERY high quality metal catalitic converters and readiness set with out a problem.. On cars with ceramic cats or cheaper metal cats, often times the test could not stay in a specific temp range long enough to set up properly.

I refuse to turn the code 02 sensor codes completely as main many other tuners do. Turning off secondary cat diagnostic also turns off closed loop operation if front 02 sensors fail. On a car then runs closed loop to redline it is critical for the rear 02 sensor to be able to step in if needed for fuel trimming.

If you are running a miltek, cargraphic, europipe this shouldn't be an issue because the HJS cats operate (and acutally work) the same way that the stock exhaust does. If your running anything else its hit or miss.
very interesting post... I've always wondered how CAT quality manifested itself....

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 PM
To all that replyed...thanks for your feeback..and help...!

Tony Thanks for jumping in - I had no idea what the issue is/was and contacting me via the forum and time spent on the phone as well.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Thread revival-
Just had car smogged today with a new Speedtech 3.0 with 100 cel cats. Passed the sniff and visual this time, but had the same issue as Opp on the ECU Readiness.

I have an early 1-bar K16 flash from 2009. It passed with my stock exhaust last year, but not "ready" this time around. I did have battery disconnected a few months ago during rollbar/seat install. But have driven this several hundred miles including a track day.

Tony- do I need a more current flash or is this a special drive I need to do? My plates expire end of month.