Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can tiptronic shift points be reset ?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
can tiptronic shift points be reset ?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if the Tiptronic transmission can be reset for more aggressive shifts? As everyone mentions, it tends to upshift as fast as possible to get to 5th gear. I do understand that it starts in 2nd gear (a tiptronic thing) which really doesn't matter..it just keeps me busy in manual or button mode

On my BMW, you can reset the memory of the transmission by just turning the key to on and holding the gas pedal to the floor for 10 sec. This resets the memory and allows for the computer to adjust for your driving style which works VERY well...

Any ideas??

Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slant83
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if the Tiptronic transmission can be reset for more aggressive shifts? As everyone mentions, it tends to upshift as fast as possible to get to 5th gear. I do understand that it starts in 2nd gear (a tiptronic thing) which really doesn't matter..it just keeps me busy in manual or button mode

On my BMW, you can reset the memory of the transmission by just turning the key to on and holding the gas pedal to the floor for 10 sec. This resets the memory and allows for the computer to adjust for your driving style which works VERY well...

Any ideas??
Tiptronic adapts to your driving so the more aggressive you are with throttle opening the sportier the shift pattern. When stoped you can shift into 1st gear with the steering wheel button. Tips have hundreds of preprogramed shift patterns you just have to tell it which 1 you want with your right foot.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 PM
dave4tide is on a distinguished road
Do you have Sport Crono? Sport mode is needed for a more agressive shift pattern.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 AM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
My Tip. shifts very aggressively. I only use the automatic side when the engine is cold. It downshifts at appropriate times and, of course, the wonderful paddles allow you to shift anytime you want even in auto. mode.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Disregard. This was posted for another forum entirely and somehow ended up here. Magic.

Last edited by denversteve; 07-18-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:01 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Driving my wife's '06 S... A comment and a question.

I HATE the starting out in 2nd. It reminds me of when I was a kid driving my mother's Corvair with 2 speed automatic. For those of you complaining about it "lurching" or "clunking" when you manually shift it into 1st. All you need is to be stopped completely and foot on brake. No sweat. THEN it wants to really rev in 1st before it shifts, even with light throttle. I drive fairly agressively so I guess it likes that. I swap back and forth when driving it and it has surprised me at how willing and sporty it is. REALLY. I have a bunch of other cars but I find myself enjoying this a lot more than I should. I have NO complaint about it and I think the road testers are NUTS. They don't take the time to learn how to use these so they think they are crappy.. when it is THEM that is..crappy. ;->

This one is a '06 987S. As far as I can determine the exhaust is totally stock. BUT it is on the loud side. Much louder than I expected. I remember when the 987 was new and being tested and some writers commented that the USA cars got louder exhausts than the European ones as we had looser noise regs. It SEEMS like a sport exhaust by the sound. I also noticed that when Porsche made the optional dual level exhaust, they didn't show a fitment for these early cars. So, does anyone know teh story on the exhaust? My 911 turbo addict brother dismissed it as having a "worn out muffler". Anything is possible but the miles are fairly low and I have a hard time believeing the muffler is shot. [if it is, it has a nice tone]

comments appreciated
JR