DIY engine oil change - Porsche 911/991S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
DIY engine oil change - Porsche 911/991S

Hi everyone,

I enjoy driving my car a lot and now it is already 2,000 miles after a month.
It is a time to change the engine oil. I did this with my mechanic and it took only 10-15 mins to do it (of course without draining oil process which is like 20 min extra).

1) Un-screw the draining oil's plug
2) Draining... wait... wait... wait...
3) Re-screw the draining oil's plug and do not forget to replace an aluminum ring washer with a new one.
4) Open the rear engine cover, remove covers/fans.
5) Open an oil filter's cap, then remove an oil filter
6) Re-insert a new oil filter
7) Replace the rubber O-ring on the oil filter's cap, re-insert and re-tight the cap.
8) Fill up with 9 quarts of mobil one 0W-40
9) Start up the car and re-check everything, my oil's gauge show @ level 4/5

Attached Images      

Last edited by iambon; 06-13-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
More pics

Attached Images    
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM
G997 is on a distinguished road
If you open the oil filter as you drain the motor will drain a lot faster and more completely

Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by G997
If you open the oil filter as you drain the motor will drain a lot faster and more completely
Hi Thank you for a tip, I will do it next times.

PS> The engine does feel smoother though .. just my2cent

Last edited by iambon; 06-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by iambon
it is already 2,000 miles after a month.
It is a time to change the engine oil
Much appreciate the DIY, really do, but at 2k miles it's certainly not the time to change oil unless Porsche is off by 5x on their guidelines or maaaaaybe if you've been to the track a few times in that span.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Much appreciate the DIY, really do, but at 2k miles it's certainly not the time to change oil unless Porsche is off by 5x on their guidelines or maaaaaybe if you've been to the track a few times in that span.
It is my bad habit, not only for my Porsche but I tend to change an engine oil after run-in period for every cars i have owned.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by iambon
It is my bad habit, not only for my Porsche but I tend to change an engine oil after run-in period for every cars i have owned.
Can't hurt I guess and cheaper than an hr of therapy

Is it the same oil filter as the 997? I have a few of those left over...

Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Can't hurt I guess and cheaper than an hr of therapy

Is it the same oil filter as the 997? I have a few of those left over...
Hi, it is exactly the same oil filter as 997.2 DFI.

PS. I guess it is my Mental therapy, so I won't feel worry to push her to the red line.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Again, another great post!

bob

Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Not using Mobil One??

Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Do you have pictures on removing the covers/fans?
Is it hard to do?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:18 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Not using Mobil One??
Looks like a Mobil 1 label

Old 06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by rnl
Looks like a Mobil 1 label
My bad
I've only seen Mobil One in silver containers....

Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
So on to how to reset the service indicator reminder when you hit 10k..

Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 PM
C4SDreamin is on a distinguished road
How about opening the oil filler cap before draining? Won't oil spill out of the filter before anything has drained? You do say open the filter while draining, but this would be difficult if the car is up on a lift as pictured.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY engine oil change - Porsche 911/991S