Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Upgrading standard door speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Upgrading standard door speakers

My Aston has the standard Hifi. In my experience the speakers are the first place to upgrade after the sub.

Sub frequencies are good so I am going to change the door speakers to some top of range focals... Hopefully this will improve the sound - not expecting amazing results but if its an improvement all the better.

PS. Thanks irish for the door card removal instructions in a previous post - did not break the window switch either

Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
What did you choose for replacement speakers? Did you find something that fits the existing mounts, or is this a more involved project?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
I think I have sourced some highly regarded focal speakers that are midrange and tweeter. I need to check the depth of the space available since these ones have comparitively big magnets.

The fitment screws seem to be spot on. Wont know till I get the speakers.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 AM
mikes300 is on a distinguished road
They fit I hav them in my DB9, though I added an amp too, they sound amazing much better than stock, I put them in the rear too and swapped the woofer out as well

Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
What do I need to replace the woofer? That thing is terrible.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Not much I replaced mine, the one between the seats, with an 8" JL audio, note the stocker is a dual voice coil, it really needs an amp though, there is another place for another 8" woofer facing up, if you really want the thump! The entire system really needs to be reworked, the fibre optic and the stock integrated amp is a pain IMO, my installer by passed all that, my system is so much better than stock now, but looks completely stock, I spend about 4k on the entire thing, installed, my car is an 06 bit different than the newer ones, he also added IPod integration too

Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Just finished installing some nice focal speakers with directional tweeters into the door frames. They just about fit but I also used 2 washers each side so that it sat right. There was not issue with putting the door cards back on.

Sound is now much improved. An easy modifiction - 2 hours and maybe $100 on speakers.

Tempted to see what the center speaker size is like since I think thats the dedicated bass unit. There is nothing in the rear anywhere.

Before and after pics ... (feel free to add a reputation to this post by clicking the star )

Attached Images    

Last edited by Vergis; 10-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 AM
The speakers used were

Focal Access 100 CA 4"

Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM
RichKnox is on a distinguished road
The rear speakers in my V8V fade in and out at times depending on the music. Does this happen to anyone else? I did not know if it was a function of the surround or my amp acting up.

Scratch that, I just found my answer in "search"

Last edited by RichKnox; 10-07-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
No32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of light
very nice, let know when you replace the center and sub

Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 AM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by EAGKnox
The rear speakers in my V8V fade in and out at times depending on the music. Does this happen to anyone else? I did not know if it was a function of the surround or my amp acting up.

Scratch that, I just found my answer in "search"
It's probably the bluetooth module. Mine were doing the same until they dropped out completely. My tech replaced the module and everything's hunky dory now. Try that before replacing the amp--it's much cheaper.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Here are a few pictures of the install in my 06 DB9

I have about 4K into it, but its flat blows away the stock setup!! not even close, and now I can plug in my Iphone/Pod
I replaced the front and rear speakers and the rear center sub, I just abandoned the center channel dash speaker, everything running through the stock dash deck.

Last edited by mikes300; 10-08-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 AM
DominicMartin is on a distinguished road
Wow that looks like quite some set up you have there in the DB9.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Vergis
Just finished installing some nice focal speakers with directional tweeters into the door frames. They just about fit but I also used 2 washers each side so that it sat right. There was not issue with putting the door cards back on.
Where did you place the washers? What size did you use?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 AM
I put them in between the speaker and the door holes for the speakers. So the speaker would sit slight proud and not touch the magnet against the door panel.

The washers were about 1 to 2 cms across with a 1 cm hole.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading standard door speakers