Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Remote/Transponder or Volvo?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Aston Remote/Transponder or Volvo?

My '07 Vantage came with two keys and one transponder. The car will not start without the transponder (remote) close by. The Aston Dealer wants $ 500 for a new one and to reprogram it to the car. Yikes. They have to have a PIN code to go into the car computer system or they won't work. So here's what I've come up with. A used one on EBAY (sent them a message asking if they have the PIN - I'm pretty sure they don't)....and then a new Volvo one with the PIN.

The Aston Satellite Nav is lifted right out of a Volvo, and the power mirror motors are Volvo as well. So I'm assuming much of the car electrics will interface with the Volvo's. What say ye, electronic wizards? Do you think the new Volvo unit will successfully interface with the Aston computer to make it worth taking a chance?

Used Aston:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTON-MARTIN...769e51&vxp=mtr

New Volvo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-UNCUT-OEM-VOLVO-FLIPKEY-FLIP-KEYLESS-REMOTE-SMART-KEY-SWITCHBLADE-/200736565850?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Make%3AVolvo&hash=item2ebcd4ea5a&vxp=mtr

Last edited by drcollie; 11-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Yup you guessed it! Key fob transponders on the early cars are all Volvo units... some even say volvo on them, right on the backsides.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Here's a old picture - and proof :

Name:  6FCmy.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  48.4 KB

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
All the Vantage/DB9/DBS remotes are Volvo units..the newer 2009 units are even Volvo, Aston designed the exterior case for 2009+ but still used the old circuit board..if you took apart a newer remote you can even see the old panic button still there and works, just on the remote casing there's no spot to press a panic button.

You can buy the Volvo remote, just make sure you get the correct MHZ which is 315 for N.A/Japan.. you will need to modify the volvo remote to work though, take yours apart and you will see what Aston does to make the Volvo remote work for them(cut/gut/drill). You can also swap the remote leather wrapped backing cover from your Aston remote to the new Volvo remote, that way you don't see "Volvo" branded into the plastic.

Just if you have a 2007, you have a old type remote and key..if the car is disarmed, the remote has nothing to do with starting the car..the chip is in the key. I mean some of are clients only drop off the key and no remote. I can lock/unlock(arm/disarm) the car with the key in the door lock barrel and start the car without a problem..really don't see how the remote is not allowing the car to start unless it's close by??

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by irish07
Just if you have a 2007, you have a old type remote and key..if the car is disarmed, the remote has nothing to do with starting the car..the chip is in the key. I mean some of are clients only drop off the key and no remote. I can lock/unlock(arm/disarm) the car with the key in the door lock barrel and start the car without a problem..really don't see how the remote is not allowing the car to start unless it's close by??

Hmmm...very odd. I do have a 2007 with two keys, one remote. Both keys will start the car if the remote is near the steering column. If the remote is not in proximity to the car, the second key that is unattached to the remote does not work to start the car.

Now I'm REALLY confused...lol

Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
There is no DBS remote...it is an ECU and not a Volvo item.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ XJ, what irish is saying is the volvo electronic is within the ECU (Emotion Control Unit) or key...so there in lies the volvo-ness of it all ! Anyway maybe I dunno how to explain it but if Irish says it it's most likely true he is one of our Aston Martin forum experts and plugged into the marque as a long standing service tech.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ XJ, what irish is saying is the volvo electronic is within the ECU (Emotion Control Unit) or key...so there in lies the volvo-ness of it all ! Anyway maybe I dunno how to explain it but if Irish says it it's most likely true he is one of our Aston Martin forum experts and plugged into the marque as a long standing service tech.
The ECU has nothing to do with Volvo.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
There is no DBS remote...it is an ECU and not a Volvo item.
The circuit board inside the DBS/DB9/Vantage ECU typre remote is a Volvo unit(only thing Aston about it is the exterior casing/shell and buttons)..it's the same borad unit inside the previous remotes as in the newer ECU's....I've swapped them out hundreds of times from the volvo looking aston fobs and volvo fob remotes to the newer ECU...client looses remote ID codes and I have to install a new CEM(I need those remote ID codes)..and none are stored anywhere..so instead of getting a new glass key..etc, we order volvo units and swap the guts..then I have new codes to flash the new CEM..I'm not the one to think of this, there's actually a S.B from Aston explaining this can be done..

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Explain, then, how the Volvo remote FOB, which has nothing to do with starting the car for those Astons with regular keys, somehow becomes an ECU which starts the car?

What function inside the Volvo FOB, when its guts are placed inside the ECU, as you say, now interfaces with the car allowing it to start? Why would Volvo design/build a remote FOB with an unused function...I have never seen a Volvo with an ECU like that on an Aston.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
On the older style key + remote, the remote is used to unlock/lock the vehicle, and the ignition key has a chip inside which is looked for by the reluctor ring that is around the ignition barrel. If the chip is not detected at the reluctor ring, car will not start

The new ECU has the chip inside the casing(open it up and you will see a circuit board and a chip not attached together) ...the reluctor ring has now been placed at the front of the ECU docking station which looks for the chip(same part as ignition barrel type, just fitted to work with the ECU docking station)..this is why if you insert the ECU to fast through the docking station slide, the chip is not detected and the vehicle will not start.

When I get a key for a older car(say 2007 V8V)..I have to program the chip to the vehicle..if I insert the key and try to start it while unprogrammed..car will not start and a theft DTC code is set..Once key chip is programmed to vehicle, key will function perfectly to start vehicle..to do this I do not need a remote fob..

To program a new ECU to a 2009 V8V..I have to program the VOLVO ID numbers for the Volvo Circuit Board(which is supplied with the new key packaging, which used to be a Volvo package wrapped in a Aston bag)..then program the key chip that is now inside the ECU ..all of which are inside the Aston ECU casing

Old key chips are Jaguar and are inside the ignition key..new ECU chips are Volvo..the Volvo chip is cut out of the male part of the Volvo remote and put into the new ECU units

I have a pic of both remotes side-by-side so you can compre..just I can't access sites to host the pic at work..if anybody wants to host the pic, pm me your email and I'll send it for you to host..

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Explain, then, how the Volvo remote FOB, which has nothing to do with starting the car for those Astons with regular keys, somehow becomes an ECU which starts the car?

What function inside the Volvo FOB, when its guts are placed inside the ECU, as you say, now interfaces with the car allowing it to start? Why would Volvo design/build a remote FOB with an unused function...I have never seen a Volvo with an ECU like that on an Aston.
Volvo's don't use the new Aston ECU "casing"..but Aston uses the Volvo remote internals ..and older remotes are actually a chopped up S40/S60 etc remote..Aston casterates the male part of the remote off and drills a hole through it to attach the chrome finisher and leather key ring strap..then fills in the emergeny key slot hole with expoxy..if you look close at a older remote, you can still even see the quick release still there

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 AM
XJ lets face it....you can run but you cannot hide from VOLVO!!!! !! They are on the key, they are in your nav...anywhere you look it's your friend...Volvo

we drive very expensive and exotic Volvo/ford/jag hybrids with a little bit of Aston Martin thrown in! ... I'm only joking of course, kinda...lol haha!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 PM
On the older style key + remote, the remote is used to unlock/lock the vehicle, and the ignition key has a chip inside which is looked for by the reluctor ring that is around the ignition barrel. If the chip is not detected at the reluctor ring, car will not start

The new ECU has the chip inside the casing(open it up and you will see a circuit board and a chip not attached together) ...the reluctor ring has now been placed at the front of the ECU docking station which looks for the chip(same part as ignition barrel type, just fitted to work with the ECU docking station)..this is why if you insert the ECU to fast through the docking station slide, the chip is not detected and the vehicle will not start.

When I get a key for a older car(say 2007 V8V)..I have to program the chip to the vehicle..if I insert the key and try to start it while unprogrammed..car will not start and a theft DTC code is set..Once key chip is programmed to vehicle, key will function perfectly to start vehicle..to do this I do not need a remote fob..
A-HA! Now I understand how my '07 works....I have two keys and only one will start the car. I though it was the remote doing the security thing, but I had the other key that IS programmed in close proximity to the key that was not programmed, so the 'docking ring' was reading the chip from the close-by key and not the remote.

Cool.

Thanks for explaining!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM
4leafcloverz is on a distinguished road
Volvo's don't use the new Aston ECU "casing"..but Aston uses the Volvo remote internals ..and older remotes are actually a chopped up S40/S60 etc remote..Aston casterates the male part of the remote off and drills a hole through it to attach the chrome finisher and leather key ring strap..then fills in the emergeny key slot hole with expoxy..if you look close at a older remote, you can still even see the quick release still there
I'm sorry to revive an old thread but I managed to lose the remotes on my '05 DB9. If i buy these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-315-MHZ-...07afb6&vxp=mtr
can they be programmed to open the doors and trunks of my car?

Thank you

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Remote/Transponder or Volvo?