Macan Forum for the new Porsche Macan

Macan vs Cayenne who is going to buy this thing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Macan vs Cayenne who is going to buy this thing?

ok I love Porsche and they are marketing geniuses

what market is the Macan aimed at

and why would you want it over say a Cayenne?

just prompting a discussion, is this a car for my kids or you almost want a Cayenne but you really don't or what?

tom

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
lol! I want one...

The wife was inspired by the Juke-R, but it never came to our shores (for sale), and it was not engineered for the daily drive (nor priced as such). This is the next best thing.

AWD, PDK standard, TT V6 at 400HP seems like it could be fun, while serving other practical purposes... I will have to see the storage layout, as I would actually intend to use it for utility reasons...

Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 AM
fastm3 is on a distinguished road
I guess it's partially aimed at me. I've driven Cayennes many times, when my 911 has been in service. I just find it too big, and I don't like big cars. I bought an X3 over an X5 a few years ago, as an example. I want an SUV, but not a big one. At this point it's either the Macan or the Q5 for me.

Having now seen the car, albeit virtually, as well as its price, I think I'm going to put down a deposit this week for Euro Delivery around April of next year. The Q5 would've cost right around $50K the way I wanted to configure it. Looks like I might be able to configure a Macan S for around $55K, which is not a bad differential considering a) It's probably faster and handles better, b) It's probably slightly better built and slightly more luxurious, and c) It's a Porsche and it's a new model, so it'll probably hold it's value a bit better.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

I have owned an X3 for a longtime that is overdue for replacement. I looked very hard at the redesigned X3 but for all the updated features, it isn't new or exciting enough. The Cayenne is too large for my needs so the Macan makes sense at a price point close to a similarly equipped the X3.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yankee04
I have owned an X3 for a longtime that is overdue for replacement. I looked very hard at the redesigned X3 but for all the updated features, it isn't new or exciting enough. The Cayenne is too large for my needs so the Macan makes sense at a price point close to a similarly equipped the X3.

bingo I think this is the market guy getting an X-3

and I totally understand

was hoping prices would be little more reasonable to justify the kids law school grad present!!

hope you guys get what ya want can't wait to see them when they finally come in believe me I will find a reason to buy one!!

this may be the closest thing to the boxster/911 if set up right as the cayenne I tow with and even my Panamera TS really feel like boats compared to my 911

Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yankee04
same w/ me. Maybe this time next year.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Im thinking if suspension and power are what they look like with the right ride height this is going to be one very sporty nimble SUV!!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tom kerr
ok I love Porsche and they are marketing geniuses

what market is the Macan aimed at

and why would you want it over say a Cayenne?

just prompting a discussion, is this a car for my kids or you almost want a Cayenne but you really don't or what?

tom
This sounds similar to a "why do we have a Cayman / Boxster" argment, no?

To me, our Cayenne is great. It is a sporty SUV. The wife drives it, and I have no problem driving it as well. In fact, I'd drive another....but I don't need that much space.

So I would consider a Macan instead. I have two kids, and we alternate pickups from school, so I do need the space. And I carry a lot of junk for work.

If you're a single guy with no kids, and a Cayenne is too big and aloof for you, this is perfect.

Really, it is a Porsche Station wagon.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
I'll be trading in our family's '08 X5 4.8 for it. We have 8 people driving in my family, so we do need a lot of cars, especially when over half of us are car enthusiast LOL

We already got a Cayenne GTS and a Q7, so we really don't need another full size SUV. But back then, there wasn't much option for mid-size SUV. X3, GLK were crap and Q5 only came out in the last few years. My parents thought there wasn't a need to replace the X5, but we do almost have every porsche model minus the cheapest one and the most expensive one. So we gotta get a Macan just for the sake of owning most of porsche line up at the same time LOL.
Plus, I'm buying the Macan for my mom as xmas gift this year. So she can't say no!

I'm going to bet if I was to choose between the Cayenne and the Macan as a daily driver, I'd choose the Macan. I also find the Cayenne is too big for my liking. But I think driving the Cayenne would be more eventful. Its just I can't drive it everyday!

Either way, this car is made by Porsche, we all know its gonna drive great!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Crea
I'll be trading in our family's '08 X5 4.8 for it. We have 8 people driving in my family, so we do need a lot of cars, especially when over half of us are car enthusiast LOL

We already got a Cayenne GTS and a Q7, so we really don't need another full size SUV. But back then, there wasn't much option for mid-size SUV. X3, GLK were crap and Q5 only came out in the last few years. My parents thought there wasn't a need to replace the X5, but we do almost have every porsche model minus the cheapest one and the most expensive one. So we gotta get a Macan just for the sake of owning most of porsche line up at the same time LOL.
Plus, I'm buying the Macan for my mom as xmas gift this year. So she can't say no!

I'm going to bet if I was to choose between the Cayenne and the Macan as a daily driver, I'd choose the Macan. I also find the Cayenne is too big for my liking. But I think driving the Cayenne would be more eventful. Its just I can't drive it everyday!

Either way, this car is made by Porsche, we all know its gonna drive great!
similar boat, tons of drivers, don't need another sports car or tow vehicle or even race car for that matter so the Macan seems right, well for somebody in my family!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:40 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
For us, it would be the wife's car. She's gone Grand Caravan, Sequoia (twice), X5, and now is in an X3. She likes the size of the X3, it's comfortable for 4 and has good cargo space for suburban errands. The X3's 4 cylinder is fine, but the overall fit and finish is a step below Porsche, and the driving dynamics are good but not in any real way inspiring. Since she's newly in the X3, we are going to wait and hope that (per usual) any first year glitches get ironed out and perhaps some new options/colors hit our market. Maybe a hybrid in a year or two?

Additionally, I drove a Cayenne Turbo for five years, and she and I both believe (as with the X5) that the Cayenne is bigger than she needs.

Last edited by jnscolo; 11-20-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Add Cayenne comment
Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Looks like a great vehicle, but too small in back for 2 standard poodles & Costco/Home Depot runs.

Looked at the Cayenne but about $15K more than the '14 MDX similarly equipped. Have owned previously and good vehicles + outstanding dealer service.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
My wife's X5 lease is up next year and the Macan S looks like it's the replacement.
I showed her the photo's this morning and she said "that's hot", enough said.
How are Porsche lease rates, I've always purchased my 911's.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HotHonda
Looks like a great vehicle, but too small in back for 2 standard poodles & Costco/Home Depot runs.

Looked at the Cayenne but about $15K more than the '14 MDX similarly equipped. Have owned previously and good vehicles + outstanding dealer service.

The MDX is a sweet car. It offers a lot of features for the price. Not the best performing nor does it drive like the Porsche. But it gets the job done in Honda fashion (Reliably and safely). I am all in Honda guy for my DD. I lvoe the new MDX.

OP, in this subsection everyone will chose the macan over the cayenne. It's a little biased but i am sure they are both good cars and this will be a great handler.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:23 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I've been considering a cross-over SUV to replace my 997 cab in the next year or so. I dislike large vehicles, so the Cayenne doesn't suit my needs. The SQ5 looks intriguing, but now the Macan provides another interesting option. I priced the Macan on the Porsche website tonight, and with carefully selected options it came in a little over $60k. Interestingly, a Prestige SQ5 came in at around the same price, with same 0-60 numbers. The SQ5 shows slightly more HP but more weight too. Most of the other specs re size etc are almost identical. I think the Macan will get a lot of attention from people like me who want a sporty SUV without too much bulk. I don't need a lot of space and definitely would prefer sporty handing over size.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Macan vs Cayenne who is going to buy this thing?