996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question on AFR/boost gauge setup etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:27 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Another question is...do you need a sensor for each side?

For example, say one side is running in the proper range and he other side is too lean. The factory puts O2 sensors on each side, most likely in case one side is not performing properly, so it makes sense that both sides should be monitored for AFR.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:04 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
i only run one side with regards to afr. i put the egt on the other side. if there is a major problem, you'll catch it either way. you could however, run two wideband afr sensors so that each side was monitored. to accomplish this, you would simply place a toggle switch so you switch between the two sensors. you cannot monitor both at the same time. but then again, you can't do it with any of these gauges either.

i do not believe you could run the zeitronix unit with any other gauges. there would have to be independent sensors. it could be done easily, but you would just have to duplicate your sensors with one afr for the zeitronix unit and one afr sensor for the guage. i could be wrong though, but i'd doubt you could split the signal.

honestly guys, the gauges are really nothing more than eye candy when you're hauling ***. you won't be able to really see what's going on. i like the look of the gauges, but recognize what their limitations are.

datalogging is where it's at tells a much bigger story, especially when trying to diagnose something. you really need to be able to graph your tps, boost, rpm, and afr together to get a full picture of what is happening in the engine.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Deputy - I understand and agree with what you are saying. I may end up running the AEM gauge on one side and the Zeitronix with all the datalogging on the other. Did you install the Zeitronix yourself? How difficult is it to pick up the boost, RPM and TPS signals?

Zippy,

I am looking into the carbon fiber single gauge pod. The owner is trying to find a stock mold that is close to our pillar shape. Are you interested if I find one?

Also, I am talking to zeitronix to see if the analog output of the AEM gauge can be loaded into the user input of the zeitronix unit in order to monitor/datalog both sides at once.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:55 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
i had it installed. too much work for me

the rpm is difficult to pick up on our cars. my first installer said he couldn't get it. the second installer thinks he got it, but i haven't tested it yet. i forgot to bring my laptop home. i guess there are different types of rpm signals and you need to get the right one for the ZT unit.

everything else has been tested and works great.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John D II
Thanks Deputy - I understand and agree with what you are saying. I may end up running the AEM gauge on one side and the Zeitronix with all the datalogging on the other. Did you install the Zeitronix yourself? How difficult is it to pick up the boost, RPM and TPS signals?

Zippy,

I am looking into the carbon fiber single gauge pod. The owner is trying to find a stock mold that is close to our pillar shape. Are you interested if I find one?

Also, I am talking to zeitronix to see if the analog output of the AEM gauge can be loaded into the user input of the zeitronix unit in order to monitor/datalog both sides at once.
John, Yes. I would definately be interested in a CF gauge pod. I have full CF so it should fit in OK. I'm also going to buy a black leather pod to see which looks better.

Count me in.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
...Also, I am talking to zeitronix to see if the analog output of the AEM gauge can be loaded into the user input of the zeitronix unit in order to monitor/datalog both sides at once.
John, please let me know what you find here. As much as I want that AEM Gauge, I also need to have data logging capabilities.

Thanks, Mike

Old 08-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Mike,

Where are you getting the leather pillar mount? I have also been looking for one to compare the two.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Mike,

Where are you getting the leather pillar mount? I have also been looking for one to compare the two.
John, I had e-mailed a guy back and forth a couple of times from my work computer on Friday. I've been trying to rember.... I'm sure I'll figure it out before sundown. I'll PM you when I remember.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by woolyg
Mark is that what Todd did on your car???
No, I did that.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Quote:
...Also, I am talking to zeitronix to see if the analog output of the AEM gauge can be loaded into the user input of the zeitronix unit in order to monitor/datalog both sides at once.
John, please let me know what you find here. As much as I want that AEM Gauge, I also need to have data logging capabilities.

Thanks, Mike

Mike, Here is the Zeitronix response:

Thank you for your interst in our products.

Yes, you can connect and log any 0-5V signal to the Zt-2 User input including an output from the AEM.

At this point you can view the Zt-2 values on our LCD, a PDA or a PC laptop.

Thanks
Zeitronix

I am pretty sure this is what I am going to do.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Mike,

Zeitronix just announced they are adding an additional user input port to their unit as we speak, so that you have the standard Zeitronix AFR input and a multi-use user input (which can be used for bank 2 - i.e. the AEM 5v analog signal). This leaves the user output available which can be used for the audio visual alarm.
Previously you had to specify the lone extra port usage as either input or output, but not both. With the new unit you can datalog both sides at once, have the AEM guage and the warning light/buzzer set to your preference of AFR alarm level.

Here is what the alarm can be used for:

Loud 95dB audio buzzer with a bright red LED and a relay trigger signals the alarm.
APPLICATIONS
  • AFR too rich The alarm activates when too rich mixture is detected.
  • AFR too lean The alarm activates when too lean mixture is detected.
  • A combination of AFR too rich and AFR too lean alarms can be used to tune for a specific AFR window.
  • EGT too high The alarm activates when EGT exceeds a safe user selected level.
  • RPM too high Shift-light functionality with a bonus of audio alarm and a relay trigger.
  • TPS too high The alarm activates when TPS exceeds a selected level.
  • Relay trigger Open or close a relay circuit to activate or deactivate additional devices at a set warning level. Typically used to add a control to your boost setting, nitrous or alcohol injection and other devices capable of engine destruction.
  • The Audio Visual Warning and Trigger Box alarm is activated by Zeitronix Zt-2 Wideband AFR Meter. The audio alarm can be deactivated by adjusting the switch SW1 inside the box. The visual alarm and a relay trigger are always active.

Last edited by John D; 08-15-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 PM
John, that sounds awsome. I bought that "A" pillar gauge pod from Sam @ Speed Gallery today. As it turns out, it is a complete "A" pillar, black leather replacement piece he is removing from a car on lease. It's coming with Autometer gauges (boost, AFR & EGT). Yes, thats correct, I'm going to have 3 gauges on the "A" pillar. I'm going to be ready for AMLS!

We'll see how it works. If I don't like it, I'll put it up for sale here.

Hopefully I'll be able to route through this new Zetronics Logger. Sounds promising.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:38 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Yes I know, reviving and old thread. Wanted to post up what I made in CF. Also relocated the a/c control to the upper part to make room for the gauges. Turned out really nice, and fits perfect, but daaaaayum is 4mm CF hard to work with!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Nice! .

Old 06-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
You might want to check this unit out also. It runs off the OBD2 plug and also has plug in for a wide band wide band sensor.
http://www.brockwayengineering.com/r920.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question on AFR/boost gauge setup etc